Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Wizard of OZ is not just for Kids.

"Life doesn't imitate Art, it imitates bad television"- Woody Allen

My spin on it is ..."Life Doesn't imitate art, it imitates the Wizard of Oz".

The Wizard of Oz


I know you have seen this movie, but I want you to watch it again when you get older.

The Wizard of Oz, scared me as a child.  I know the obvious source of fear was the Wicked Witch of the West.  Margaret Hamilton's brilliant role as the Wicked Witch, was dramatically chilling.  Her green makeup added an extra level of malevolence.  (Thumbs up for scenery, makeup, and choreography!) 
Margaret Hamilton
The Wicked Witch of the West
 Additionally scary of course, were the flying monkeys and dark soldiers of the Witch's Army.  I'm embarrassed to say, that the Munchkins also terrified me.  With their pinched faces and outlandish outfits, I would literally hide behind the sofa until they were gone.  

And yet, over the years I have found myself re-thinking the themes, story lines, and analogies.  I've come to the conclusion that the story is truly brilliant in its messaging.  Messaging that is missed by many of the young children that watch it for its whimsical story line.

I could certainly write a long post about the symbolism that the movie portrays, but I want to focus on one main theme that when I thought about it, I felt I learned a powerful lesson that can be applied to real life's challenges.  

I never really thought a lot about the 3 character's Dorothy meets.  The Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Lion.  Their role, I thought, was merely a side bar to help the story along   But in reality the 3 characters truly represent something profound.  Namely, the characteristics they are looking for are the essential characteristics that any great movement, project, or adventure need to have.  A brain (Scarecrow), a heart (TinMan) and Courage, (The Cowardly Lion).  As a quick example, take the American Revolution.  I think it would be easy to say that this Revolution was certainly started by some very intelligent men and women, from all walks of life.  I think the heart of American freedom and governance were essential to communicate to get the colonists to fight.  Lastly, and probably most importantly, courage.  The Americans that fought in the Revolution against the British were going against, at the time, one of the strongest Armies and Navies in the world.  The odds were long and the possibility of death by hanging was very certain for all the Founders had they lost that war.  But Courage is key.  As Aristotle wrote:  “Courage is the first of human virtues because it makes all others possible.”  This is a powerful statement and I think the Wizard of Oz, puts Aristotle's proposition to the test. 

Another obvious lesson from the movie and perhaps the one that is most relevant to a child watching the film is Dorothy's realization that she always had the power to go home, she just needed to conquer the fears and personal obstacles to get back.  

And so, as you watch the Wizard of Oz as you get older, and you apply for a job, create a new company, work on an important project, make sure you use the lessons of the Wizard of Oz as your guiding template.  Does your venture have heart?  Does it have intellect, but most important of all, do you have the courage to pursue it?  Start with Courage first, and then the obstacles will fall away, one by one.




No comments: