Saturday, October 22, 2016

Learning about Fear from "The Village"

At the time of its release, this film was panned by many a film critic, yet I find this to be one of M. Night Shyamalan's most thought provoking films.  I won't put much detail about the plot because its power is in the story's ebb and flow, and its sleepy narrative.  Perhaps that's one of the reason's I enjoy this film so much is that it reminds me of Washington Irving's Sleepy Hollow.  (One of my all time favorite books!, yet horribly portrayed in most film versions- I'll never forgive Johnny Depp and Danny Elfman for such a trashy remake ) But I digress:

The power of this movie is not in the scare value but the deeper implications of human nature and the state of fear.  It won't give you sleepless nights due to gruesome horrors, but it may give you a sleepless night pondering the fears that hold you back.


No comments: