Friday, December 27, 2013

The Dead Poets Society

Carpe Diem- Seize the Day

The first two reason's I want my children to see the Dead Poets Society movie are personal.

1.  This movie inspired me... (and I'm sure many others) to become a teacher.  I saw this movie roughly in about 1989-1990, when I had very little idea as to what I really wanted to be or do with my life..  I graduated with a Biology Degree as a default after being ground down by the Physical Therapy Program.  Please don't think I am bitter about that, I didn't have the fortitude, desire, or talent to complete the program.  I loved learning about animals and their behavior and habitats, but found very little energy to take the necessary steps to get the required advanced degree.  However, getting a degree was important and so I did.  I am truly grateful for the knowledge I received in the Biology and PT programs.  They taught me logic and scientific thinking which gave me the skills to becoming a free and critical thinker.
I digress however, the point I wanted to make is that after seeing this movie, it sparked in me the newly discovered passion to become a teacher.

2.  Ethan Hawke's character of Todd Anderson is the ONE movie character I can relate to instinctively.  Hawke's portrayal as the shy introvert surrounded by a world of extroverts completely captures my personality as an adolescent.  Hawke does an incredible job of portraying the terrifying fear of saying or doing something that will make you stand out.  I think I can offer a fair amount of proof for my thinking this.  I was awarded the Most Shy, and Most Quiet Award at my high school awards ceremony, as well as, quietest in my College dorm.
Scene from Dead Poets Society
However, outside of those two personal observations as to why I want my children to see this movie, there are quite a few other great reasons.  So here is the rest of them:

3.  The soundtrack is phenomenal.  Maurice Jarre's musical vision captures the themes and substance of the movie perfectly.  The climactic ending with "Scotland the Brave" played in dulcimer to full orchestra masterfully sets the tone of the class's awakening.  

4.  Theme:  Passion is beautiful.  Life is nothing without passion and ultimately the bountiful life occurs when you align your talents with your passions.  Contrast to the line from Thoreau's, “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"- paraphrased by character John Keating.

5.  Theme:  Blind allegiance or conformity can be deadly.  Enough said.

6.  Watch for:  John Seale's cinematography.  Scene selection is everything.  Capturing the rigidity and beauty of a private school is daunting but Seale and director Peter Weir do a wonderful job.  

7.  Think about:  Tom Shulman's screenplay.  Academy Award Winner!  Complex and deep.

8.  Side Note:  At the time of this movie Robin Williams was primarily known as a comedian and "Mork" the bizarro character from Mork and Mindy.  His shtick was random arbitrary comedy that I found too bizarre for my personal liking.  The trailers for this film highlighted his comedic moments in the film where he imitates John Wayne.  Seeing the trailers made me not want to go see the film thinking it would be just a comedic platform for Robin Williams.  So glad I went anyway.  This movie is not a comedy in any shape or fashion despite some wonderfully comic lines, mostly from the students.  Robin Williams is magnificent as John Keating and display's his amazing gifts as a "serious" actor.  

Final Analysis:  This movie is inspirational and thought provoking.  It changed my life and made me think back on the theme often.  The hallmark of great art!  



No comments: