Monday, July 23, 2012

To Begin with... A List

So, I have quite a few movies I want to write about... and should fate leave me stranded tomorrow... at least I have put down a list of the movies I want them to see.  Most like likely they will be able to figure out the lessons on their own, so this may be the most valuable post of all.

So in a nutshell, here is a list of movies that I think my children should see and a brief reason why.  The are just written randomly and don't indicate preference or rank.  They are all great. 

  1. Rocky- Less is more.... and anyone can rise above their situation once they recognize their talents.  Soundtrack to a movie can make a movie.
  2. Forrest Gump- The rare occasion where a movie is far better than the book.  Brilliant cinematography.  Incredibly creative.  We create our destiny.
  3. The Dead Poets Society- Passion is contagious, sometimes you need to stand up for the truth.  Beautiful soundtrack.  Pun intended.  "O Captain, My Captain".  
  4. Serpico- Doing the right thing can be dangerous, very dangerous.
  5. Diner-  A rarity in Hollywood, a film that portrays the true nature of men.  Some of the best dialogue ever captured on film.
  6. The Shawshank Redemption- I learn a new lesson each time I watch this.  Mesmerizing.  
  7. Play it Again, Sam-  Woody Allen's comedic brilliance.
  8. Good Will Hunting- Like #3 this movie makes an honest attempt to capture the true essence of broken men.
  9. Saving Private Ryan- War is hell, but sometimes without a doubt, necessary.
  10. Star Wars- Episodes 4-6-  Battling against the forces of tyranny can even take place in space.
  11. The 6th Sense-  I am not a fan of chilling movies and this scared me to my core.  But it was creative and brilliant, absolutely brilliant. 
  12. Born Free- If you love someone, set them free.
  13. True Grit-the remake-  Sorry John Wayne but the Cohen Brothers remake was brilliant.  This illustrates the unmistakable power of women.
  14. The Village:  How fear can blind us to reality
  15. The Wizard of Oz
  16. Mo Better Blues

No comments: