Saturday, July 14, 2012



Ok... so why am I writing this blog?  Well, my high school daughter rented a movie to watch called, Horrible Bosses.  I had heard through a colleague that this was a funny movie.  So I thought that I would watch it with her.  We have a standing rule that with her being 15, she cannot watch R rated movies.  I assumed this was a PG movie, and I didn't do parent diligence by checking.   To make a long story short, after watching the movie for roughly 15 minutes, I realized that I truly turned into MY father, and shut the movie off because it was filled with sexually charged language with each scene.  It was filthy.  I must say even for me personally this was over the top raunchy and I would have turned it off as well.

Now don't get the wrong idea, I am not a puritan, a holy roller, a nitpicking parent.  As a matter of fact, in the hockey leagues that I play in, I hear some of the exact same over the top raunchiness that was displayed in the movie.  However, my daughter is not a part of these discussions.  Will she one day be able to handle this type of content.  Yes, but for now... I'm sorry... it is not going to happen.

So, back to this blog and its purpose.  My aim at this blog is to give my children my perspective on movies they SHOULD see, and why.  Because... I love the cinema.  I love good movies.  I want them to know that good movies inspire and teach us valuable lessons that we can use to lift us up and make us greater Angels of our better nature.  (Paraphrase from Abraham Lincoln) 

So let me begin.  I hope that others will find this blog useful in any way they can and perhaps begin to have conversations with their children.

The movies that I will talk about are not in any particular order of importance.  In my opinion, they are all important.


No comments: